- Can you raise your arms above your head?
- Can you raise your arms above your head without arching your back?
- Can you raise your arms above your head without arching your back AND do not hear any popping, clicking, or feel a rubbing against your shoulder?
One possible solution help strengthen the back and improve posture is to hold a proper plank.
Serratus Push-ups involve the following steps:
- Hold a perfect plank
- Press your forearms into the floor and lift your back straight into the air, pulling through the center of your body
- Return to the plank position
- Repeat at a steady cadence
This exercise is perfect for anyone, and can be modified to being on your knees as well if you lack the ability to hold the plank in the video above. Read more about Serratus Push-Ups, but be careful with your form in the plank. You do not want a concave curve in your back.
This is a good way to start protecting your shoulder girdle, but may not solve all of your upper back and neck issues, as well as strengthen and lengthen many other problem spots. To discuss some of your rotator cuff, shoulder, and core strength issues, please email me a cagefit DOT gmx DOT com