Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Personal Training as a Health Expense

From the IRS website:
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group as well as fees for attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.
Many employers offers an FSA (flexible spending account) or HSA (health savings account) as part of their health care package. This means that you may be able to use the money from those accounts towards personal training. You need to do two things before jumping in and purchasing sessions:
  1. You need a prescription from a medical doctor, or a note from your health care professional describing your need for a personal trainer.
  2. You should consult with your tax advisor about writing off the cost of hiring the trainer.
Remember, you can always email me your questions at